Monday 23 June 2008

DIY: Mee-Hun-Kuih a.k.a. Pan-Mee Pieces Edition

Sunday morning.

Mum and dad are going to some boring function after breakfast. So no point joining them for breakie to have them send me home again. Plus, I really need sleep and it is always ridiculous to wake up early just to have breakfast.


So by the time I'm up, all is gone except for me alone~


I think this will be a great time to proceed with one of my projects. While searching around in the kitchen for the stuff I need, I found a fresh unopened packet of flour. An idea cross my mind. Why not some Mee-Hun-Kuih a.k.a. Pan-Mee Pieces Edition for breakie?!


Well, it is never a difficult task to cook a noodle dish, especially it is the soupy version. As long as you don't screw up the soup. But for Pan family kind of noodles, we will have to make the dough ourselves. It is an end-to-end process. From flour to noodle to soup to finish dish to my stomach to shit.


After simple browse through our fridge, I found some Chinese cabbage, spring onion, mushroom and anchovies. Perfect.


First, cut, wash and soak all the vegetables and mushroom. Add a bit of salt so the osmosis process will drain whatever pesticide left in the vegetables.


Get some flour to the mixing bowl, pour some water, gradually, slowly. Don't get too much water, if not you will have to add more flour and in the end, instead of noodle for one or two, you'll make enough for the whole Taman.


After that is the fun part of mixing the flour and water together into a dough. Depending on your strength and patient this usually takes around 15 minutes. You can stop when the dough does not sticky any more. Smooth, bouncy and strong. Take a clean cloth, wet it and cover the dough. We will leave it for a while.


Next we move to the soup. Heat some oil and fry the anchovies until golden. Scoop some of them out to a little dish. Left the remaining and the oil in the pan. Pour in water. Add some salt, fish essence for flavoring. Then down goes the vegetables and mushroom. Wait till the soup boils.


And then is the second fun part. Grease your hand and peel of a small chunk of the dough. Stretch the corner of it into small and thin part. Better if you can make it so think it is actually translucent. Then peel it off and drop it to the soup. repeat the same thing to all the dough.


When it is done, let them cook for a minute and it is ready.


Scoop it to a bowl, sprinkle some spring onion, fried anchovies, add a little of pepper.


Tada~ Mee-Hun-kuih...done~!


P/S: I had a feeling I forgotten something during the whole process. It is until I started to eat that I realized I forgot to add in meat, pork~! Darn it...but the fried onion and its oil I omit them intentionally.


No comments:

Powered By Blogger