Saturday 13 June 2009

The Longest Week

It was getting to the end of May, nothing fruitful in my boring adventure in job hunting. There is one that I like, but I need to wait for feedback. They asked me to be patient. Patient, for feedback. Feedback, is not an offer. It may be good news, it may be bad news.

Sitting waiting for a feedback is not a totally good idea. The hunt must go on. The papers is never useful for me in days like this. It is always the Internet. I have registered in around three job hunt site. Although they send me update for "match" everyday, but little is useful. I still have to search in the site myself.

I stumble upon an ad for a job and the company is nearby my place. Not too near, still have to drive. It is located in the industrial area. Based on the simple role they list out, it sounds ok, but still I won't know unless I talk to them, and so I apply.

The response is rather fast, I forgot how long it took, but fast enough. An interview appointment has been set. It is the second last week of May. My plan is, after the interview, normally it will takes around one to two week for an update, by then I should get the "feedback" from my first choice. Even if I don't get the feedback, but I think after a month's wait, I am at least eligible to chase for one.

The interview is surprisingly relaxing. I like the people interviewing me. No faces given, relax, take it easy approach. Maybe because the interview took place right after lunch. People is always happy after well fed. Bummer is, even though the plant is located near my house, my job will be stationed at Mutiara Damansara. This is even better for me and thus, this became my second favourite choice of work. My first favourite, work in The Gardens, cool place, second in Mutiara Damansara, near The Curve, also cool.

As I said, normally there will be update in a week or two, but this only takes two days. One day morning, around 9, before even close to my usual wake up time (12 ~ 2), I got a call that I was offered, and there will be another update later on the details. Oh shit, but what the heck, sleep first.

In the next update, I am suppose to collect the offer letter and head to a medic check on the next Monday, for I will need to report in Thursday. Wow, this is fast, and a little unexpected. No signs from the first choice yet, I need to buy some time, and I manage to persuade them that I can only collect the offer letter on Tuesday. In the same time, I email for the organization responsible for my first choice.

I got a reply the same day, with promise for final update at the end of the week. Whoa, that is close. But if I get the feedback by the end of week I still have the weekend and Monday to weigh things over. Cool, just cool.

Friday is the end of the week, another email, saying there is still some discussion need to take place, and I can only get the final answer next week! NEXT WEEK!!! If next week referring to Monday or early Tuesday it is still OK with me, but what if Wednesday, Thursday or worst Friday? I need to report in for the second choice on Thursday ler!!!

I know worst case scenario is, if they failed to get back to me on Monday or Tuesday or even Wednesday, I will have to report in first, and if they did offer me better I will resign. But I don't like resigning like this. I think it is unfair for the company and I do not know how to face the hirer who has been so kind to me. On the other hand, if I do not take this, what if the feedback from my first choice is a negative one? Looks like I have not much choice...

I consulted to my LHH consultant, I also chat with a friend working in a company's HR department. They assure my theory of newbies quiting after a few days is not uncommon. Just that I don't like it. But that will be the worst scenario. I still have hope, I but my bet on to get the feedback latest on Tuesday so that I know which offer to choose and make my choice without fear or doubt.

I should have by 4D that week. I won the bet. On the next Monday morning, still before my wake up time, I got a call from an "Undisclosed" number. How I love that word in my W580i's caller ID. It was from them. I got an offer. It will start on July. Although it does not reach the number I asked, but it is an improvement from what I had in Lenovo. I don't care what others get. As long as I get what I get, I'm OK. Without hesitation, I accepted the offer and ready to close my job hunt.

For two months I lived in fear and uncertainty, now for the rest of May and June, I can life in peace. Down side is running out of money also, but I do not feel the pressure of being jobless anymore. So, haven't even mid June yet...still plenty of time to rest...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger